Alabama National Guard | Always Ready, Always There
Alabama National Guard > Resources > Personnel > TRICARE

Maintaining Your Eligibility for TRICARE


It's Your Responsibility

Proper registration in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is the key to receiving timely and effective TRICARE benefits. DEERS is a worldwide, computerized database of uniformed services members (sponors), their family members, and others who are eligible for military benefits, inlcuding TRICARE. All sponsors (active duty, retired, National Guard, or Reserve) are automatically registered in DEERS. However, the sponsor must register eligible family members. After family members and sponsors are registered , they can update personal information such as addresses and phone numbers. Note: If both parents are active duty service members, then either parent (must choose one) may be listed as the child(ren)'s sponsor in DEERS.

When There's a Change

You should update DEERS immediately whenever you experience any of the following life events (this list is not all-inclusive):

  • Change in sponsor's status:
  • Retiring or separting from active duty
  • National Guard or Reserve member activiation or deactivation
  • Change in Service status (e.g., enlisted to officer, branch change)
  • Getting Married or divorced
  • Having a baby or adopting a child. (Note: DEERS registry is a separate step and is required befor you can enroll a child in TRICARE Prime.)
  • Moving to a new location for any reason
  • Becoming entitled to Medicare (either you or a family member)
  • Death of a sponsor or family Member

Updating DEERS

To register family member or update DEERS records, sponsors must complete a DD Form 1172 Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card and DEERS Enrollment and provide documentation, such as marriage, birth, or death certificates; Social Security numbers; active duty separation papers; Medicare cards. Each family member's eligibility record must be updated separately. Note: If the sponsor is not available, family members can update DEERS with a notarized DD Form 1172 or if you have Power of Attorney. You can verify and update DEERS in one of the following ways:


To add or delete family members, visit a local uniformed services personnel office. Search for an office near you by ZIP code, city or state at Call the office first to verify location and business hours.


Call the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at 1-800-538-9552 to update your addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers.


Fax address, e-mail addresses, or phone number changes to the DSO at 1-831-655-8317.


Mail changes to the DSO. You must also mail supporting documentation if you are adding or deleting a family member:

Defense Manpower Data Center
Support Office
Attn: COA
400 Gigling Road
Seaside, CA 93955-6771


Visit and follow the steps to update you address, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers online.

Loss of Eligibility

If you try to obtain care and your DEERS record shows you as ineligible for TRICARE (but you have not truly lost TRICARE eligibility), you'll need to update your DEERS information. For more information about Loss of Eligibility, visit



Governor Robert Bentley
Governor Robert Bentley

Major General Perry Smith
Major General Perry Smith


Recruiting Go to AKO

Go to GKO



Please leave Feedback

YOU HAVE REACHED A UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT SERVER SECURITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE - This site is provided as a Public Service by the Adjutant General, Alabama National Guard. This site is intended to be used by the public for viewing and retrieving information only. Unauthorized attempts to upload or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud And Abuse Act of 1986. All information on this Site is considered Public Information and may be distributed or copied. The appearance of hyperlinks to external sites does not constitute endorsement by the Alabama National Guard of the linked web site or the information, products or services contained therein. Use appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested. All input has been approved by the Alabama National Guard Office of Public Affairs.